Monday, August 16, 2010

Natural vs. medicated childbirth?????

Okay, so I know I'm the lamest blogger you possibly know. I've had a whole bunch of pictures and things I've wanted to post for I don't know how long, but I keep postponing it. It's been a crazy couple of months as we have been non-stop been looking for a home to purchase. Then I went back home to AZ for two and a half weeks. It was such a great visit and the baby showers were fantastic (thanks Mom and Cheryl for the great evening and Tawnya and Sora for the Riverview brunch!!!!!). Seriously, I was so spoiled that I would rather first send thank-you cards before posting everything else about the trip. Thank you to all the awesome gifts and baby funds!!

Since I've been back for two weeks, we've FINALLY found a home!! The offer was accepted this weekend and now we're prepping to move in a few weeks (as soon as we close). Whether or not this is an intelligent thing to do a month before I'm due, oh well! We're so excited!! Especially now that we can focus on baby stuff. Seriously there are waaaaaay too many things that I haven't even thought through yet because we were so focused on getting into a home.

Saturday, Doug and I took a childbirth preparation course that was four and a half hours long... holy moly! There's sooooo much to think about!! Now the biggest debate I'm STILL having is whether or not to go natural or medicated. I definitely believe in the beautiful technology that has brought us medicated birth today, but it just seems there's so many pros to going natural using a relaxation method (Lamaze, Bradley, etc). I would LOVE feedback from anyone willing to give it. I know everyone feels partial to their way, but I'd like to hear your stories as I'm still trying to think it all through for what would be best for me.

More updates to come soon....

17 comments:

Collette said...

So i'm sure you've already heard aubrey's side of the story, and mine is similar, but i agree with something you pointed out... although i believe that the woman's body is a beautifully perfect baby making machine, i'm also grateful for the technology that has come about to make it a safer process. So i had my natural labor in the hospital. i was educated and knew the hospital could not force anything on me if i didn't allow it. I labored mostly at home and at the hospital i didn't have a single i.v. and only monitored every half hour or so. The nurses were very supportive. Choosing the right hospital is a must if you want a natural labor, so do your homework. I also loved being waited on hand and foot after the fact... anyway, this is your labor and your decision, so whatever you choose just make sure it's the right thing for you! I enjoyed the natural feelings and urges and control i felt with a natural labor, but some need the help of medication to enjoy the process. it's up to you!!

Kara said...

I think it's great to have a plan in mind, but don't beat yourself up over it if it doesn't work out that way. Babies have minds of their own and you have no idea how your body is going to handle it. I have never been one opposed to drugs, ASAP!! And I'm so glad they work for me, cause I don't think I could do it any other way. I'm not a fan of pain! I had to have a C-section with Nathan and I never planned on that, you just never know! But I was lucky enough to be able to have Jackson vaginally and I do think that's better, but once again, couldn't have done it without the drugs. Do what you feel is best for you, I'm just saying be open to whatever you feel like when you're actually in labor! Good luck girl, and congrats on the house!

Luellens said...

First let me tell you how much I miss you and Dough! And wish I was closer so we could talk. My plan was that I didn't have any expectations. I just knew I didn't have anything to prove. I wasn't going to try to be super woman. I would try to endure the pain as long as I could and try to help things along as much as possible. If you decide on drugs sometimes you aren't able to get out of bed and walk around.
Well in my case I didn't really have much of a choice things happened so fast. Good things I didn't have any expectations. I did keep asking where my drugs were to help with the pain. I arrived at a 10 and 100 percent. I don't really know what my advice would be. It's really up to you and how much you want to experience. You will do great either way! Miss you tons!

Cec said...

I think it's important to go in with a plan A, plan B, and a plan C. Know what you "want" to happen but also be prepared for a back up plan in case it doesn't go that way.

My biggest pc of advice would be to do your homeowork and know what ALL your options are and then communicate that to Doug or whoever is going to be there with you so they can help you accomplish what you have in mind.

And remember at the end of the day it's you who is going through it, don't let anyone else's opinions, judgements, or stories pressure you into doing something you don't feel is for you.

Alli said...

You will be surprised at how much it hurts. I thought I was going to die. I had #1 with an epidural, but I saw how quickly I progressed and I had staydol with the next two (didn't like it, I don't like feeling loopy), then the last two I went natural. It worked for me because I knew that for me it took a while to get to a 4 and after that it was very painful but that it was only going to last for about 1/2 hour more and that pushing them out for me was no problem. So since I knew that it was going to be okay *eventually* I could handle the pain myself. Natural is wonderful, those were absolutely my favorite labors, but it would've been very difficult if I didn't know what to expect. Seriously, it hurts like the dickens :) But don't worry, she will get here one way or the other and while her birth is important, you've all got all kinds of other experiences with her that will be just as huge.

Good luck! We're rooting for you :)

Tawnya said...

Yep, what they said.

My feelings: drugs are awesome. My epidural allowed me to get some much needed rest because the whole thing was just long and exhausting. I've never regretted it and am planning on going that route for #2.

Of course, it's your body and your labor. Don't feel like you have to take everything the nurses offer and don't feel like you're a failure if you can't handle it naturally.

Whitny said...

I did it 5 times being forced into labor and epidurals and pitocin. The last one I did at home with a midwife. I preferred # 6 over all the others. Granted I was well educated in the process. After reading about 5 books and watching births online.
I am not saying that you should do it at home or even with a midwife. I am suggesting that you get some books about home birth. It gives you really great information and coping strategies. The more Educated you are the more confident you will be. Don't just go to class.... You must do reading and watch some births. They are amazing. BTW I don't know what the laws in texas are but you can have a doula and possibly a midwife at the hospital. AZ allows midwife assisted birth. No doctor. When you read the information you will see that Doctors are trained to be surgeons, they are not trained on the process of natural labor. Depending on your doctor ( he might be great and on board) but lots of doctors like to "speed things along". which can lead to other things. I don't want to freak you out because like the other ladies say she will get here and she will be fine. What ever you decide to do will be right for you. I don't regret and I didn't have bad experiences in the 5 hospital births. I just wish I was more educated. It wouldn't have been such a mystery.

Myra said...

If you want to try and go natural, that's awesome. But if it doesn't work, don't feel bad about getting an epidural. If you get an epidural, ask for a light one, so you can still feel what's happening - it'll just cut the pain.

Good luck. Whatever you chose will be the right choice.

Oh, and make sure you talk to your doctor about everything you hope and want.

Candice said...

My epidural was THE BEST!!! It helped me relax which made me progress alot faster! I was able to get some rest, and enjoy the experience. Also when i was pushing i was able to know when to push and felt when there was a contraction so i knew when to push ( i just didnt feel pain) and i felt the baby coming out too..... dont get me wrong if people choose to go natural, then awesome for them but i do ask myself...... why do you want to feel pain???? Pain doesnt make the experience more beautiful....either way it will be amazing!!!

Kelli Radmall said...

I agree with the last comment-my epidural was great! I really enjoyed the process. Plus, I am probably a wimp. I think that is great if you want to do it natural. All I can say is WOW to all those that have done it for thousands of years without drugs. I thought I was tough, but after just two hours of bad contractions I was ready for the drugs. Just the contractions hurt more than I thought was possible! Kurt only saw me for like 5 minutes before my epidural and I was like, "Don't touch me! You did this to me!" Seriously. Then after I had my drugs I was like, "Hi honey!, love you, thanks for coming." Ha ha.

Tiana and Papa Sika said...

I've had a baby with an epidural and one without. If you are in labor and you feel like you can't handle the pain then go for the epidural girl, it's all up to you!

Nicole said...

Hey Fancy,

Well... I don't have a lot ton of experience, but I think you could handle going au naturale. Once you get to a certain point, its like whatever. Although I did yell. But it was kind of cool, like being in touch with your body on a super hardcore level. And, like two seconds after she popped out I felt fine! I was tired, but that didn't atke away from the coolnes at all. Plus, my mom and about a million bajillion women have done it... That said, it is still totally up to you, and if you are so miserable you can't stand it then get a spinal tap.

Katie said...

The one thing I would suggest is for you and Doug to discuss what you ideally would like to happen. Make sure he is clear on what you want. You will need someone to
advocate for you, to both the hospital staff and at times for your self.

If at all possible I would highly recommend using a birthing Doula. http://www.birthingnaturally.net/directory/doula/louisiana.html

They are amazing can really help this experience be what both of you want it to be.

Most of all just try to take it all in and enjoy the moment. Best of Luck!

Alicia W said...

Everyone's saying similar things, but I'll throw my two cents in. I lean towards natural in almost every sense. Listen to your body, know your options, and make a birth plan. You don't know how you (or baby) will be, so be flexible and listen to yourself as you go. If you're in a lot of pain and dilated to a 4, you might want an epidural. If you're far along and aren't dying, try without. Just have as much fun as possible! If you want my birth plan, I can e-mail it to you. Don't let anyone boss you around- you are the expert.

Val said...

A really good book to read is Ina Mae's Guide to Natural Childbirth. I think those who end up with an unexpected natural childbirth (as in, planned on having an epidural but for whatever reason couldn't get one) aren't mentally prepared for it so they have a harder time with the experience than a person who did prepare for it. This book was incredibly helpful for me when I was in labor with Aaron.

I'm so excited for you!!!

Lcurls said...

http://www.nurturingheartsbirthservices.com/blog/

She is probably the best information I have ever read. Her blog is amazing

Michelle Johnston said...

So, I want to hear what you decided to do! AND I WANT TO SEE this beautiful baby. Please post pics whenever you get a sec:) Or send them to me! I am so excited and happy for you guys. My mom said she was little. I hope all is well and that you are recovering quickly. Hugs!
Michelle