Doug did his first flight in the B-52 today!! I was so excited to able to go to the park right by the base where I had a good view of and film it! Without further ado, here it is (excuse the dirty lens... how embarrassing!) :
Doug's experience in his words (yes I got him to type on the blog!!!):
Of the many things we did during my first flight, we did air-t0-air refueling. That was an interesting experience with a student pilot flying the plane. The other student navigator that sits next to me just decided to turn of our "tv screen" (easiest way to explain it) instead of having to endure watching our near death experiences every couple minutes ;) O.k. it wasn't that bad, but it was.....sporty.
At the end of our flight we went back to Barksdale to give the pilots a little experience landing. "A little" meaning 3 hours of flying in circles around the airport and crashing into the runway every 10 minutes or so. I haven't measured myself since I got home from the flight, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the 5' 4" range now. Seriously though...my tailbone hurts.
Even though there were some rough times it is so cool to be able to fly in the B-52. It's an old airplane, but it's still reverenced by every other country in the world for a reason. I love being the one to "push the button";)
(Jacque talking again) For those who don't understand what air-to-air refueling is, it's when the big tanker (like my vocabulary? I sound like a 5 year old!) puts a hose up to the plane it's refueling as both are going approximately 400 mph! I found a picture on the internet... it's a view from the tanker looking onto the B-52 as it's doing this process (the pictures above I took of the B-52 taking off):

7 comments:
Yes... I am the one who changed that navigators diapers!!! My claim to fame!!!:) That was seriously awesome to be a part of, how cool to see your first flight Doug. Thanks for sharing that with us (Jax):). But, hey that was kind of fun to have Doug add a few words on the blog too. Love you both!!!
HOW COOL! I love this post! Love and miss you guys :).
loved this blog! I shared it with Aunt Kitty too. Did you think of your grandpa Johnson and how much he loved to fly? I did! Love you and the peeks into your life.
Great video! I'll bring the laptop over to Grandma and show her if she hasn't seen it yet - so exciting!
Doug rox!! And Jac, you rock too, making sure to document all these new experiences. Miss you guys tons!
I love how you documented this! You are such a good wife! :)
Wow, awesome! It was so fun to see you today. I am so happy for you and your sweet little girl. I am super excited to see that little girl on the blog!!!!
Post a Comment