Saturday, September 13, 2008

The surgery that humbled her…

Okay, if it takes a foot surgery to get me to update my life, then I know I’ve been moving too fast (or maybe just too lazy to record it down!). Monday I had my fourth surgery on my right foot. Hopefully this one did the trick. Apparently from all of the other surgeries, I have developed quite a bit of arthritis and severe damage to some cartilage between two of my foot bones (in the heel). The surgery was to fuse the two bones together. For the next six weeks, I am to remain completely off the foot (no pressure at all) and then for another six weeks after that, I’ll be in a walking cast. Yes, just imagine me on a rolling walker for the next little while. For those of you who know me and my foot issues, this won’t be too hard.

If it sounds like I’m on drugs while writing this, however, it’s true… these pain meds make me feel reallllly funky. I don’t know what I was thinking to have my haircut while I’m on them either… let’s just say I just lost a lot of hair just now… and all I wanted originally was a trim to keep my hair long!

So here it is: My life in a nutshell…

Besides another wonderful foot surgery, things are going well and fast for Doug and I. I’m in my fourth year of teaching, which basically tells you everything I’ve been up to since it seems to take up every free moment. I’ve been teaching 8th grade science at Akimel Middle School (my middle school rival!) since I started teaching and have really enjoyed it. Although my original plan was to work with young children, I’ve learned about the blessing it has been to be a part of their lives at this age. It’s such a turning point in their lives; a time in which they start to point to the direction they want to go. Don’t get me wrong, it has definitely had its “middle school moments”, but with the character/humanities program that we do with these kids, it’s just as life changing for me as it is for them. Needless to say, I still keep in touch with several of my students. If you’re ever feeling adventurous and want to check out my school website, and learn more about what I’m doing, it’s www.kyrene.org/staff/jacneil.

Doug is still in school at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, as well as doing Air Force ROTC training at ASU and will finish everything up in December. From there, we can only assume at this point that there is a good possibility that we will be moving in January, most likely to Texas to begin our life in the Air Force. Doug currently has a navigator position and is alternative pilot. It doesn’t seem like we’ll have a definite answer for where, when, and what until we get there. All I know is that the Lord has a plan for us… I just wonder what that plan is at times!!!

For a year and a half, now, I’ve been humbled with my calling as Primary president in our ward. Many times I feel I have no qualifications for being there, but I see how the Lord truly loves these children and will bring to pass what He wants for them. I have learned a lot from everyone in the presidency and from each of the children we serve.

Other than our “grown-up” lives, I feel we have especially been blessed in our social lives, both with family and friends. Living so close to family on both sides has been great for common family get-togethers. We have also become very close friends with two couples, the Collards and the Burgesses, where we’ve had a lot of fun together. I’m sure you’ll be seeing several pictures soon of what we’ve been doing together!

Anyway, I feel that I have bored my audience, but there it is… our life in a nutshell!

3 comments:

Myra said...

sweet post. texas, eh? where? how exciting!

Drew and Tarah said...

Jacque! I love your blog!!!! It was so good to talk to you today! I hope we stay in better touch! (Go Akimel!!)

Cec said...

Jack! It's good to see you on here. I am excited to see you keep this up!