So Christmas has come and gone so quickly. It was a blast waking up at my parents' (in Tempe, AZ) to the sound of my nephews' excitement for what Santa brought. I think once I'm a mom, I'll be up even earlier than the kids because I'll be so excited to see their faces! It was a great morning with the family. We especially loved the surprise we set up for my parents in the backyard--a new volleyball set up. Santa was good this year to us (he does a good job every year). Apparently our house back in San Antonio is quite dirty... both my parents and Doug's parents gave us vacuums (both visited this past month!).
We slipped over to Doug's parents' for a little while and then took off with my family to Showlow to enjoy a white Christmas. Here's what I posted on Facebook last night:
"Jacque Neil is loving her first Christmas out of a book... we're talking surrounded by family, (although we're missing a portion), in my PJ's cozied up on the couch with a crackling fire, a cup of hot cocoa, and a good book. We're staying in a GORGEOUS cabin where we step outside in the backyard to go sledding in the fresh powder snow (yes, people, AZ gets snow!). I've loved dancing with my sweet nieces to the Christmas music, while the boys (adult and kids) are enthralled with building a brand new Lego set. My belly is full of delicious soup and my heart is warm. This is how I've always defined Christmas, although I've never experienced it like this before. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. May His peace ring though our hearts no matter what life brings."
I spent the rest of the evening reading and then finally writing our Christmas letter. I'm posting it here as it's an update for my lack of posting:
Merry Christmas 2009!
"Remember the Alamo!" was the phrase that defines the symbol of the pride of San Antonio and the entire state of Texas. As we wrap up the year in San Antonio, Texas, we'll not only remember the Alamo, but many cherished memories, experiences, and friends.
We're officially living a military family life... our first sign was when we first met people from our ward, they asked, "Are you military?". When we responded positively, they said, "it was nice to have met you, but we can't be friends." Apparently, there's too much turnaround for the locals to appreciate! (Don't worry, we're good friends now).
It's been a long year in the Air Force CSO (Combat Systems Officer--navigator) training for Doug. There's been many frustrations with the training itself, but he's really enjoyed all aspects of flying. He's been especially excited to have recently been assigned to navigate on the B-52 bomber. We will be moving to Barksdale Air Force Base (in Shreveport, Louisiana) on February 8th for his follow-up training on the B-52 till November. From there, we'll either stay stationed as Southerners or volunteer (note "volunteer") to move to one of the coldest places in the U.S., Minot, North Dakota (the popular phrase is "Why not Minot? Freezin's the reason!"). As Arizona sun runs through our veins, we'd rather not think about it till later as it chills us to the bone just thinking about it!
San Antonio has been such a great place for us. We have many times felt like
newlyweds again (we already celebrated our 4th anniversary this last November). Doug believes it's because I haven't been teaching full-time. Along with that there have been many reasons why we feel that there's been a lot more "us" time than we ever imagined. We've learned more this year than in all our years combined and although it's been a roller-coaster, we've very much enjoyed the ride. Maybe that's also because we had a lot of great things to see and do here that also attracted a lot of company throughout the year. From the Alamo to the Riverwalk, Six Flags to Sea World, Natural Bridge Caverns to the Wildlife Ranch, Schlitterbahn waterpark to freshwater springs, the city of Austin to just sitting around and enjoying movies at home, we've truly had a blast.
While Doug's been training, I've been either substitute teaching full-tim
e, entertaining visitors, being involved with the ward, or doing house projects. Although I've missed my own classroom and past students, it's been great how much I've really enjoyed subbing. The students are extremely polite. I found it the most amusing on my first day subbing here in Texas, however, when after the National Pledge of Allegience is recited, they turn to the Texas flag and recite their own pledge of allegience to it!
Needless to say, we've felt very blessed this last year for all of the experiences we've had and friends we've made. It has been an honor to be a part of the Air Force as we have gained a little more pride in our country and especially in those who serve to keep our freedoms. Your countless
prayers, thoughts, words, and visits have been very appreciated. We pray that the new year will bring in a newness of life as we celebrate today the birth of our Savior. It is through Him that we can receive a "new start". We look forward to the upcoming one! All our love sent to you and yours this holiday season! We love you!
Doug & Jacque Neil
4 comments:
Great post! Thanks for the party everything. Merry Christmas!
I just love you guys!!! It looks like you had WAY too much fun without me. I'm not sure how I feel about that!:) I've been practicing some new dance moves for next time we get together (hahahaha)... I know you will be too! Merry Christmas, can't wait to see you soon.
2 vacuums!? Can you take a hint? =)
That cabin is awesome! Perfect way to spend Christmas!
Sounds wonderful Jax! Love you lots. Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment