Sunday, March 8, 2009

Il giorno di San Valentino (St. Valentine's Day)...

A little slow at posting, but here it is...

Although serving in the city where St. Valentine got his fame (in 
Terni, Italy) was a pretty amazing place to be for Valentine's Day, this year was my favorite yet.  As I wrote before, Doug was up in 
Colorado for his initial flight screening.  I decide
d to surprise the kid by showing up
 for the weekend.  He was more than surprised and it actually worked out beautifully.  I was worried he would be a little stressed to see  me as his schedule was always full of studying and he always felt he didn't have enough of it.  Luckily Doug did so great during the month that they let him skip his last flight and do his final "check ride" on Friday, the 13th (not the most ideal day for him to fly nor me to fly out, but nevertheless, we both survived without any freaky things happening) which meant that he was done and ready to come home much earlier than anticipated.  It was sooooo hard to not tell him head of time that I was coming out, especially when he told me that there was a chance of him coming home that weekend. 

Friday night, we stayed in a cute bed and breakfast in Pueblo (where he was), had an awesome breakfast Valentine's morning.  We then drove for a few hours on the beautiful lightly snow-dusted day heading north (just west of Denver) to a nice cozy area where we went snowboarding in the afternoon and then enjoyed the hotel's indoor pool and sauna and outdoor jacuzzi afterwards.  That evening we were going to go ice skating at the popular local lake, but considering it was 14 degrees and dropping by the time we got 
out there, we settled for a quick walk down the tiny town street for some great pizza. The next day, we met up with one of my favorite roommates from BYU-Hawaii, Michelle Ogle (now Giblett), and her new hubby who live just outside of Denver.  It was fun catching up with her.  
On the way back to Pueblo to drop off Doug, we had the chance
 to see the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs... wow, we didn't realize how huge it was!  Seems like an exciting place to be trained, but we're glad things went the way they did to get to where Doug is now.
 


 Anway, it was a memorable weekend.  Even greater because Doug was able to come home the next day after I got back.  It's been so nice having him back... I kinda like the guy... I can admit it!  =)  Alright, I'm MADLY IN LOVE WITH HIM!





2 comments:

Myra said...

we sure miss you guys!!!

Tawnya said...

Great pics!! Sux we couldn't make it on the trip. Stupid money.